Are You Vulnerable As A Woman?
An anonymous self-defence quote goes like this, “When it comes to self-defence, it is better to have the power and not need it than to need it and not have it.” Such wise words! Self-defence is for everyone. It shouldn’t have to come down to devising techniques for women to protect themselves. But whether we like it or not, it has become the norm of the day.
Social predators see women as vulnerable targets. And criminals have the tendency to pick out their victims who will put up the least resistance. This is what makes self defence an important weapon that women must possess.
There are three important aspects why you should know self-defence strategies:
- The first and foremost aspect is that you should not end up becoming a victim of the predator.
- You need to know how to incapacitate an attacker so you have a window of opportunity to escape from the situation.
- Self-defence helps to prevent confrontations from becoming physical attacks.
Explore More About : Must Know Facts About Self Defense For Women
5 Self-defence Strategies That Will Protect You
Generally speaking, self-defence strategies should not be biased on gender. But the nature of crimes are definitely gender-based. Men do not, in most cases, face the same crimes or attacks as women. The motives also vary with gender. That is why it is crucial to know the following strategies:
Like we earlier mentioned, predators eye the more vulnerable-looking because they don’t want someone who will put up a fight and spoil their plans. What should you do to NOT give off the victim vibe?
- When talking to a stranger, be polite but assertive.
- Stand tall and look bold.
- Always make direct eye contact when talking to anyone.
- Speak with clarity.
- Do not give your belongings or accept anything from strangers. It could be a tactic to distract and subdue you.
2.Take them by surprise
Most attackers do not expect women to know self-defence techniques. This overconfidence could be just the thing that could save you. You need to respond with lightning speed and put up a fight to widen that window of opportunity to escape. Use anything to attack the opponent. Even your nails or car keys can be effective weapons of self-defence.
3.Take preventive measures
By being more alert you can always prevent attacks by nipping them in the bud.
- Do not answer the door to a stranger.
- Report suspicious people to the local police.
- Always be in the company of people if you are out late at night.
4.Trust your gut instinct
Never ignore your gut instinct because it is right most of the time. If you don’t feel right about a person or situation, you should give it some thought. If alarm bells go off in your head, you will be safe if you listen to them.
5.Just keep fighting
If, unfortunately, there is a physical confrontation, gather all your strength and put up a big fight. Do not stop until you’ve created an opportunity to escape or the struggle has been neutralized.
Self-defence Strategies : The Benefits
- Self-defence helps women realize their strengths and weaknesses.
- Different strategies prepare them to face any kind of attack, opponent or situation.
- Allows them to have greater confidence and courage.
- It gives a sense of empowerment.
- They can also implement these strategies to save someone in trouble.